The training program for 2021’s race is still in the works, and highly dependent on guidelines from the Larimer County Department of Public Health. Following the typical timeline, it would start in late July / early August, and we expect to have much more information at that time.
For an idea of what to expect if you are new to the Horsetooth Half Training Program, details from 2020 are available below.
We’re excited that you’ve chosen to run the Horsetooth Half Marathon. If you’re new to the distance or if you’re looking for company and motivation with your training, then consider joining the Fort Collins Running Club (FCRC) for some or all of your training.
Outlined below are two training plans designed specifically for newer runners with Fort Collins, on-course training runs built into the programs. These free training plans are offered through the FCRC’s RunningU training program, launched in 2015 and designed to help beginner runners train for the Horsetooth Half Marathon.
The RunningU program is built around the Fort Collins Running Club’s Tortoise and Hare series, and a series of Sunday long runs that alternate between hills and plains at three locations:
- The race start by Maxwell Natural Area (Hills).
- New Belgium Brewery (Flat)
- Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant (Flat)
Runs from the race start will be out-and-backs on the opening hilly miles of the course, while runs from New Belgium and the Rio will be out-and-backs on the final flatter miles of the course.
All organized Sunday runs will be supported with fluids at the turnaround points. Runs starting and finishing at New Belgium and the Rio will also include fluids at the finish with post-race drink specials and a chance to socialize and share training progress with your fellow half marathoners in training. We will also have sponsor giveaways and post-run presentations after the New Belgium and Rio runs.
We will again be partnering with the Tuesday Night Track group in 2020 to add an additional opportunity to train with a group to help you meet your Horsetooth Half goals. The group will be doing the workouts from the Intermediate Training Program on the appropriate Tuesdays. The TNT group is composed of, and welcomes, all abilities and paces. They will be meeting at 6:00pm every Tuesday. Check out the facebook page for details of upcoming workouts. Horsetooth Half specific TNT workouts will be promoted through the training program newsletter and posted to the RunningU facebook page.
Sunday training runs from New Belgium and the Rio will begin at 10:00am.
Sunday training runs from the race start and FCRC Tortoise & Hare races start at 8:00am
- All group training runs from the race start and New Belgium are open to any and all runners
- Tortoise & Hare races require a FCRC membership
- RunningU is a free program run by the Fort Collins Running Club. We recommend that you register for the program. Registered RunningU participants will get access to group communications and mentoring as they prepare for the Horsetooth Half Marathon.
REGISTER FOR THE 2020 PROGRAM HERE
2020 Sunday Long Run and Tortoise & Hare Race Schedule
- Jan 5: Fossil Creek Tortoise & Hare 5k (3.1 miles)
- Jan 12: KICK OFF – 3-5 miles from New Belgium
- Presentation: Colorado in Motion, Terry Gebhardt: ‘A simple strengthening program for a stronger Horsetooth 1/2 Marathon finish’
- Jan 19: 4-6 miles. Hills. From Maxwell Open Space (race start)
- Jan 26: 4-6 miles from The Rio
- Presentation: Colorado in Motion, ‘Downhill Running Technique’
- Feb 2: Edora Park Tortoise & Hare 8k (5 miles)
- Feb 9: 5-7 miles. Hills. From Maxwell Open Space (race start)
- Feb 16: 6-8 miles from New Belgium
- Presentation: Raintree Athletic Club (Niki Veldman), ‘Strengthening your butt to help you kick butt’
- Feb 23: 6-8 miles. Hills. From Maxwell Open Space (race start)
- Mar 1: Lee Martinez Tortoise & Hare 10k (6.2 miles)
- Mar 8: 8-10 miles. Hills. From Maxwell Open Space (race start)
- Mar 15: 9-11 miles from The Rio
- Presentation: Associates in Family Medicine (Dr.Zach Devilbiss), ‘Recognizing, Preventing and Remedying Common Runner Injuries’
- Mar 22: 10-12 miles. Hills. From Maxwell Open Space (race start)
- Mar 29: 12 miles from The Rio
- Presentation: TBD
- Apr 5: Edora Park Tortoise & Hare 12k (7.5 miles)
- Apr 12: 5 miles from New Belgium
- Presentation: Q&A panel with former race winners and participants
Click the image to download the detailed 2020 training plans.