We’re excited that you’ve chosen to run the Horsetooth Half Marathon. If you’re new to the distance or you’re looking for company and motivation with your training, then consider joining the Fort Collins Running Club for some or all of your training.
Outlined below are two training plans designed specifically for newer runners with Fort Collins, on-course training runs built into the programs. These training plans are offered through the RunningU program that the Club launched in 2015 to help beginner runners train for both the Horsetooth Half Marathon and the FireKracker 5k.
The RunningU program is built around the Fort Collins Running Club’s Tortoise and Hare series, which runs from October to April, and a series of long runs that alternate between three locations: the race start by Hughes Stadium (to engage and train those uphill legs), New Belgium Brewery (because it’s a great place to finish a run), and the Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant (also a fantastic place to start and end a run). Runs from Hughes will be out-and-backs on the opening hilly miles of the course, while runs from New Belgium and the Rio will be out-and-backs on the final flatter miles of the course.
All organized Sunday runs will be supported with fluids at the turnaround points. Runs starting and finishing at New Belgium and the Rio will also include fluids at the finish with post-race drink specials and a chance to socialize and share training progress with your fellow half marathoners in training. We will also have sponsor giveaways and post-run presentations after the New Belgium and Rio runs.
Sunday training runs from New Belgium and the Rio will begin at 10:00am.
Sunday training runs from Hughes and FCRC Tortoise & Hare races start at 8:00am
- All group training runs from Hughes and New Belgium are open to any and all runners.
- Tortoise & Hare races require a FCRC membership or $10 race fee.
- RunningU is a free program for FCRC members. Registered RunningU participants will get access to group communications and mentoring as they prepare for the Horsetooth Half.
2018 Sunday Long Run and Tortoise & Hare Race Schedule
- Jan 7: 3-5 miles from New Belgium.
- Presentation: Colorado in Motion, ‘How to prepare your body for an endurance training program’
- Jan 14:Fossil Creek Tortoise & Hare 5k (3.1 miles)
- Jan 21: 4-6 miles from race start by Maxwell Open Space
- Jan 28: 5-7 miles from the RIO Grande.
- Presentation: Alignment Natural Health, ‘Holistic nutrition strategies for training, racing and recovery’
- Feb 4: Edora Park Tortoise & Hare 8k (5 miles)
- Feb 11: 6-8 miles from Maxwell Open Space
- Feb 18: 7-9 miles from New Belgium
- Presentation: Raintree Athletic Club (Niki Veldman), ‘Strengthening your butt to help you kick butt’
- Feb 25: 8-10 miles from Maxwell Open Space
- Mar 4: Lee Martinez Tortoise & Hare 10k (6.2 miles)
- Mar 11: 9-11 miles from the RIO Grande
- Presentation: Colorado in Motion (Tim Flynn), ‘Downhill Running Technique’
- Mar 18: 10-12 miles from Maxwell Open Space
- Mar 25: 12 miles from New Belgium
- Presentation: TBD
- Mar 31 (Saturday): Cottonwood Glen Tortoise & Hare 12k (7.5 miles)
- Apr 8: 5 miles from New Belgium
Click the image to download the detailed 2018 training plans.