We’re excited that you’ve chosen to run the Horsetooth Half Marathon. If you’re new to the distance or you’re looking for company and motivation with your training, then consider joining the Fort Collins Running Club for some or all of your training.
Outlined below are two training plans designed specifically for newer runners with Fort Collins, on-course training runs built into the programs. These training plans are offered through the RunningU program that the Club launched in 2015 to help beginner runners train for both the Horsetooth Half Marathon and the FireKracker 5k.
The RunningU program is built around the Fort Collins Running Club’s Tortoise and Hare series, which runs from October to April, and a series of long runs that alternate between two locations: Hughes Stadium (to engage and train those uphill legs) and the New Belgium Brewery (because it’s a great place to finish a run). Runs from Hughes will be out-and-backs on the opening hilly miles of the course, while runs from New Belgium will be out-and-backs on the final flatter miles of the course.
All organized Sunday runs will be supported with fluids at the turnaround points. Runs starting and finishing at New Belgium will also include fluids at the finish with post-race drink specials and a chance to socialize and share training progress with your fellow half marathoners in training. We will also have sponsor giveaways and post-run presentations after the New Belgium runs.
Sunday training runs from New Belgium will begin at 10am.
Sunday training runs from Hughes and FCRC Tortoise & Hare races start at 8:00am
- All group training runs from Hughes and New Belgium are open to any and all runners.
- Tortoise & Hare races require a FCRC membership or $10 race fee.
- RunningU is a free program for FCRC members. Registered RunningU participants will get access to group communications and mentoring as they prepare for the Horsetooth Half. Please sign up HERE.
2017 Sunday Long Run and Tortoise & Hare Race Schedule
- Jan 15: 4 miles from New Belgium.
- Presentation: Colorado in Motion, ‘How to prepare your body for an endurance training program’
- Jan 22: 5 miles from race start by Maxwell Open Space
- Jan 29: 6 miles from New Belgium.
- Presentation: ‘Gait tests and custom shoe fittings’ – Liz Baller, Runners Roost
- Feb 5: Fossil Creek Tortoise & Hare 5k (3.1 miles)
- Feb 12: 7 miles from Maxwell Open Space
- Feb 19: 8 miles from New Belgium
- Presentation: Colorado in Motion, ‘Key strengthening exercises for endurance runners’
- Feb 26: 9 miles from Maxwell Open Space
- Mar 5: Lee Martinez Tortoise & Hare 10k (6.2 miles)
- Mar 12: 10 miles from New Belgium
- Presentation: Colorado in Motion, ‘Downhill running form’
- Mar 19: 10 miles from Maxwell Open Space
- Mar 26: 12 miles from New Belgium
- Presentation: Altitude Running: ‘Getting ready, choosing the right race shoe and other race-week tips’
- Apr 2: Cottonwood Glen Tortoise & Hare 12k (7.5 miles)
- Apr 9: 10-12 miles from Maxwell Open Space
- Apr 15 (Saturday): 5 miles from New Belgium *NEW DATE*
Click the image to download the detailed 2017 training plans.