The 2023 training program kicks off January 8 with a group run from New Belgium Brewing. Registration is FREE.
We’re excited that you’ve chosen to run the Horsetooth Half Marathon. If you’re new to the distance or if you’re looking for company and motivation with your training, then consider joining the Fort Collins Running Club (FCRC) for some or all of your training.
Training plans are designed specifically for newer runners with Fort Collins, on-course training runs built into the programs. These free training plans are offered through the FCRC’s RunningU training program and will be posted below soon.
The RunningU program is built around the Fort Collins Running Club’s Tortoise and Hare series, and a series of Sunday long runs that alternate between hills and plains at 5 locations:
- The race start by Maxwell Natural Area (Hills).
- New Belgium Brewery (Flat)
- Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant (Flat)
- Crisp & Green Old Town (Flat)
- JAX Outdoor Gear (Flat)
Runs from the race start will be out-and-backs on the opening hilly miles of the course, while runs from New Belgium, Crisp & Green, the Rio & JAX will be out-and-backs on the final flatter miles of the course.
Runs starting and finishing at New Belgium, Jax, Crisp & Green and the Rio will include post-race snacks and drinks, and will be followed by sponsor giveaways and a post-run presentation. These runs are a fantastic way to meet new runners and share training progress with your fellow half marathoners in training.
We will again be partnering with the Tuesday Night Track group in 2023 to add an additional opportunity to train with a group to help you meet your Horsetooth Half goals. The group will be doing the workouts from the Intermediate Training Program on the appropriate Tuesdays. The TNT group is composed of, and welcomes, all abilities and paces. They will be meeting at 6:00pm every Tuesday. Check out the facebook page for details of upcoming workouts. Horsetooth Half specific TNT workouts will be promoted through the training program newsletter and posted to the RunningU facebook page.
Sunday training runs from New Belgium, Crisp & Green, the Rio & JAX Outdoor Gear will begin at 10:00am.
Sunday training runs from the race start and FCRC Tortoise & Hare races start at 8:00am
- All group training runs from the race start and New Belgium are open to any and all runners
- Tortoise & Hare races require a FCRC membership
- RunningU is a free program run by the Fort Collins Running Club. We recommend that you register for the program. Registered RunningU participants will get access to group communications and mentoring as they prepare for the Horsetooth Half Marathon.